Sunday, July 12, 2009

Carne Asada Tacos

I tried this one today for the first time and absolutely loved it. My husband says it tastes like the beef they serve at Los Hermanos. Sounds good to me!

5 lbs Roast beef or 5 lbs streak, grilled and sliced thinly
1 T. Montreal Steak Seasoning (this is a must have for pantries!)
1 onion, sliced thinly (you could use cannery dehydrated ones if you want)
2 limes, sliced thinly (If you aren't using 5 lbs of meat, reduce the number of limes to 1)
1 T, beef broth or liquid from beef bouillon (so much cheaper to use bouillon)

Throw everything into a crock pot and cook for 4-6 hours or until meat shreds.

Then to make homemade Pico de Gallo Salsa to go with it... heaven!

5 large Tomatoes, diced small (it's almost tomato pickin' season!!)
1 bunch of Cilantro, diced coarsely (My husband doesn't like Cilantro too much so I cut this down to about 1/2 the bunch... still turned out great)
1 large onion, dice small
1/2 c Lime Juice (I just used the juice from 2 limes)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start stacking your taco!

Tortillas (I don't know if your family has discovered raw tortillas that you buy at Costco or Wal-mart... they are heavenly and I will never go back to cooked tortillas like Mission tortillas. These raw tortillas take about a minute to cook and are so worth it. Definitely try them if you haven't... you will be converted!)
Cheese
Lettuce
Sour Cream
Your tasty beef
Your yummy Pico de Gallo

This is definitely a keeper in my family. It makes a lot so I freeze half of it for another meal and then I'm planning on using the other half to make beef quesadillas and more beef tacos for this week. Saves time and money! Hope you like it!

No comments: