Saturday, June 5, 2010

One Hour Homemade Bread Recipe

That's right! One hour!! This is my go to bread recipe. I use it all the time! My mom gave it to me and it really is amazing. I just don't have time to spend 4 hours in the kitchen making bread and it really is the best tasting bread I have ever made. So I am sharing it all with you. Try it, you will love it!!


One Hour Homemade Bread Recipe

(this recipe makes 4 full loaves so you can always half it)

5 cups white unbleached flour
5 cups wheat flour (If you are grinding your wheat to flour, this will tack on a little extra time. It usually takes me about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish when I grind my wheat)
1/2 cup gluten
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
3 rounded Tablespoons of Saf - instant yeast (DO NOT use any other brand of yeast. SAF is incredible and once you use it, you will never look back. You can buy it online or at Macey's grocery store)
1/3 cup oil
4 cups hot tap water
3 eggs (optional but adds flavor - I always add them)

Mix dry ingredients together. Add oil, water and eggs. Mix for 1 minute and check consistency. If dough is too dry, add more water. If dough is too moist, add more flour. (I test it by just touching the dough... if you are getting a ton of dough stuck to your fingers it is too moist. If when you touch it and the dough is not sticky at all, it is too dry. Your dough should be tacky.) Knead with dough hook for five minutes. (Do not add water or flour to the dough after it has finished mixing.) Spray counter and panes with Pam. Shape loaves and put in bread pans. Cover with dish towel and let rise for 25 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

**Side note - - You need a really good mixer to make bread, aka kitchenaid or bosch. When I start mixing the ingredients, I use a normal kitchenaid beater to just incorporate the ingredients and then I switch to a bread hook to mix and knead.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thanks again it was great fun!